Lisbon is one of the most fascinating cities in Europe. The glory of the Portuguese Discoveries, spread all over the world, from Brasil (South America), to Africa, India and Asia, Portugal had one of the biggest empires ever, that lasted for more than 5 centuries.
An Independent Nation with more than 800 years of history, and Lisbon, a city with more than 3000 years of facts and events, from the Phoenicians to the Romans, following to the Moorish, different cultures and people passed by this amazing country.
The city, has it’s glory in Belem. It’s considered one of the most important places in Lisbon, in the west part of the town.
You should consider to spend at least a morning or afternoon exploring Belem. There’s a lot to see, and I have gathered here some of the best highlights, on a TOP 20 List, plus 3 additional highlights:
- Belem Tower (Torre de Belem)
- Discovery Monument (Padrao dos Descobrimentos)
- Jeronimos Monastery (Mosteiro dos Jeronimos)
- Maritime Museum (Museu da Marinha)
- CCB (Centro Cultural de Belem)
- Bernardo Art Collection CCB (Colecção Berardo – Centro Cultural de Belem)
- Museum of the Republic President (Museu da Presidencia da Republica)
- National Coach Museum (Museu Nacional dos Coches)
- MAAT – Museum of Art, Architecture and Technology
- National Museum of Etnology (Museu Nacional de Etnologia)
- Combatant’s Museum (Museu do Combatente)
- National Museum of Archeology (Museu Nacional de Arqueologia)
- Museum of Popular Art (Museu de Arte Popular)
- Belem Palace (Palacio de Belem)
- Planetarium Calouste Gulbenkian (Planetario)
- Old Royal Horse Riding Arena(Picadeiro Real)
- Belem Custard Tarts (Pasteis de Belem)
- Tropical Botanical Garden (Jardim Botanico Tropical de Belem)
- Ajuda National Palace (Palacio National da Ajuda) – Close by
- Bridge 25th April (Ponte 25 de Abril – Ponte Sobre o Tejo) – Overlooking views
- Electricity Museum (EDP Museu da Electricidade) – ADDITIONAL SUGGESTION
- Darwin Cafe / Fundação Champalimaud – ADDITIONAL SUGGESTION
- Christ Statue (Cristo Rei) – Overlooking views across the river – ADDITIONAL SUGGESTION
You can either explore on your own, or hire a private tour guide to assist you.
You can see here more details: https://lisbonprivatetours.com/best-lisbon-city-full-day-private-tour-driverguide/
- Fatima Sanctuary – What to Visit (HD VIDEO – MUST SEE) - February 29, 2020
- 10 Best Custard Tarts in Portugal (Pastel de Nata) - February 24, 2020
- 10 Best Restaurants in Lisbon (Must Visit) - February 24, 2020