Residence Permit for Investment in Portugal, also known as Golden Visa, enables third-country nationals to obtain a temporary residence permit to conduct business activities with visa waiver to enter national territory, and among other benefits, Visa exemption for travelling within the Schengen Area.
According to the authorities website (SEF), here are some of the rules that apply for the Golden Visa (Residence Permit for Investment in Portugal):
What is required:
The rules governing the granting of Residence Permit for Investment (ARI / Golden Visa), in force from 8 October 2012, enable third country nationals to obtain a temporary residence permit to conduct business activities with visa waiver to enter national territory. The beneficiaries of ARI / Golden Visa are entitled to:
• Residence visa waiver for entering Portugal;
• Living and working in Portugal, on condition that they stay in Portugal for a period of 7 or more days, in the first year, and 14 or more days, in the subsequent years;
• Visa exemption for travelling within the Schengen Area;
• Family reunification;
• Applying for permanent residence (pursuant to the Aliens Act – Act number 23/2007 of 4 July with the current wording). To the citizens holding a residence permit for investment purposes and their family members, complying with the requirements provided in article 80 of the Aliens Act and wish to be granted with a permanent residence permit, a permanent residence permit for investment purposes shall be issued, exempt of the provided in article 85, n.ºs 2, 3 and 4, subparagraph b) of the same diploma (cancellation of the right due to absences from the national territory, see article 65-k of the Regulatory Decree 84/07 of 5/11, as amended). The Permanent Residence Permit for investment purposes may be subject to specific fees of analysis and issuance, to be regulated by amendments to Ordinance 1334-E/2010, of December 31;
• Applying for Portuguese citizenship, by naturalization, provided all other requirements set out by the Nationality Act are fulfilled (Act number 37/81 of 3 October, with the current wording);
Eligibility – Who may apply?
All third country citizens who conduct an investment activity, as an inpidual businessperson or through a company set up in Portugal or in another EU Member State and who, in addition, are stably settled in Portugal, provided these citizens fulfil the quantitative requirements and the time requirements set out by the relevant legislation, may apply for a Residence Permit for Investment, by one of the following routes:
All third country citizens who conduct an investment activity, as an individual businessperson or through a company set up in Portugal or in another EU Member State and who, in addition, are stably settled in Portugal, provided these citizens fulfil the quantitative requirements and the time requirements set out by the relevant legislation, may apply for a Residence Permit for Investment, by one of the following routes:
i. Capital transfer with a value equal to or above 1 million Euros;
ii. The creation of, at least, 10 job positions;
iii. The purchase of real estate property with a value equal to or above 500 thousand Euros;
iv. The purchase of real estate property, with construction dating back more than 30 years or located in urban regeneration areas, for refurbishing, for a total value equal to or above 350 thousand Euros;
v. Capital transfer with a value equal to or above 350 thousand Euros for investing in research activities conducted by public or private scientific research institutions involved in the national scientific or technologic system;
vi. Capital transfer with a value equal to or above 250 thousand Euros for investing in artistic output or supporting the arts, for reconstruction or refurbishment of the national heritage, through the local and central authorities, public institutions, public corporate sector, public foundations, private foundations of public interest, networked local authorities, local corporate sector organizations, local associations and public cultural associations, pursuing activities of artistic output, and reconstruction or maintenance of the national heritage;
vii. Capital transfer of the amount of 350 thousand Euros, or higher, for the acquisition of units of investment funds or venture capital fund of funds dedicated to the capitalisation of companies, capital injected under the Portuguese legislation, whose maturity, at the moment of the investment, is, at least, of five years and, at least, 60% of the investments is realized in commercial companies with head office in national territory;
viii. Capital transfer of the amount of 350 thousand Euros, or higher, for constitution of a commercial society with head office in the national territory, combined with the creation of five permanent working jobs, or for the reinforcement of the share capital of a commercial society with head office in national territory, already existing, with the creation or keeping of working jobs, with a minimum of five permanent jobs, and for a minimum period of three years.
IF you would like my assistance on this subject, please contact me below.
I have 18 years of combined experience in Travel Planning and Luxury Real Estate Consultancy in Portugal, making the perfect option for your property research in Portugal.
Based in Cascais, the most famous resort town in Portugal for investors, I can assist you with your travel plans, and organize real estate visits for investment in the Lisbon region area, which includes the Lisbon Metropolitan area, and places such as Cascais, Estoril, and Sintra as well.
My agency is represented in 44 countries worldwide, with more than 3000 agencies, and specialized in luxury real estate market.
Here in Cascais, my agency exists for over 30 years, and specialized in the luxury real estate market (founded in 1990, the first agency in Portugal exclusively dedicated to the luxury market)