I have written a lot in the past about this Tipping in Portugal.
Over the years, I have seen different perspectives about this matter, from different points of view.
They are all correct, depending on the point of view.
The only thing everyone agrees on is the following: Tipping in Portugal is not mandatory.
The other thing everyone agrees as well: tipping is expected across the tourism and hotel industry, when the service is impeccable.
That said, we should learn about other aspects:
Salaries in Portugal are low.
The minimum salary is 700EUR per month, but there are many people, working on tourism, restaurants, shops, and living monthly with 400EUR-500EUR (500USD-600USD per month).
Therefore, tipping is highly appreciated, but not required/compulsory.
Tipping in Portugal is usual in some places.
Let’s see about tipping rules & customs one by one:
- Taxis: It’s usual to roundup. Example: a 7.80EUR ride can be roundup to 10EUR. If service was exceptional, or long, can be even more (5EUR, 10EUR, 20EUR, or more)
- Hotels: Staff can be rewarded with whatever you feel fair. Can be 2EUR to 5EUR, 10EUR or more, depending on the work provided.
- Restaurants: the typical 10% is often seen, or even more, 15% or 20%, but most locals roundup the bill only. A 43.50EUR bill, can be roundup to 50EUR. 87EUR can be rounded to 100EUR.
- Tours & Tour Guides: Can be rewarded whatever you feel trustworthy, depending on the job provided. Can be 10EUR, 20EUR or more. Often 10%-15% of price paid for the service is very common.
- Coffee Shops: Usually on coffee shops most will roundup the bill. Coffee in Portugal cost 60cents to 75cents, you can roundup to 1EUR.
- Uber Drivers: Through Uber APP you can add a tip. You can add whaever is fair, usually 2EUR is normal if job was good.
Questions? Drop-me a message below or text me on WhatsApp here: http://whatsapp.lisbonguide.org/
- Visit Quinta da Regaleira / Sintra - March 21, 2023
- 5 Best Hotels in The Douro Valley (2023) - March 19, 2023
- Best Seafood in Portugal / Top 50 Worldwide - March 14, 2023