I have written a lot in the past about this Tipping in Portugal.
Over the years, I have seen different perspectives about this matter, from different points of view.
They are all correct, depending on the point of view.
The only thing everyone agrees is the following: Tipping in Portugal is not mandatory.
That said, we should learn about other aspects:
Salaries in Portugal are low.
The minimum salary is 600EUR per month, but there are many people, working on tourism, restaurants, shops, and living monthly with 400EUR-500EUR (500USD-600USD per month).
Therefore, tipping is highly appreciated, but not required/compulsory.
Tipping in Portugal is usual in some places.
Let’s see about tipping rules & customs one by one:
- Taxis: It’s usual to roundup. Example: a 7.80EUR ride can be roundup to 10EUR. If service was exceptional, or long, can be even more (5EUR, 10EUR, 20EUR, or more)
- Hotels: Staff can be rewarded with whatever you feel fair. Can be 2EUR to 5EUR, 10EUR or more, depending on the work provided.
- Restaurants: the typical 10% is often seen, or even more, 15% or 20%, but most locals roundup the bill only. A 43.50EUR bill, can be roundup to 50EUR. 87EUR can be rounded to 100EUR.
- Tours & Tour Guides: Can be rewarded whatever you feel trustworthy, depending on the job provided. Can be 10EUR, 20EUR or more. Often 10%-15% of price paid is common.
- Coffee Shops: Usually on coffee shops most will roundup the bill. Coffee in Portugal cost 60cents to 75cents, you can roundup to 1EUR.
- Uber Drivers: Through Uber APP you can add a tip. You can add whaever is fair, usually 2EUR is normal if job was good.
Private Guide in Lisbon / Sintra / Fatima
Please CONTACT ME HERE to hire my services.
Passionate traveler, entrepreneur, web-designer, travel article writer.
Owner of The Lisbon Guide with more than 250.000 pages visited every year.
Based in Lisbon and experienced in tourism for over 15 years, with multiple ongoing projects. Also an avid tripadvisor user level 6 with more than 300.000 readers worldwide, helping thousands of travelers yearly to plan a perfect trip.
Helping customers from all over the world, planning their perfect trip for over 15 years.
Best Hotel Recommendations: https://lisbonguide.org/hotel-recommendations-lisbon/
Private Tour Recommendations: https://lisbonprivatetours.com/book-online-guided-tours/
SEND ME A MESSAGE