The Avenida da Liberdade is a wide road uniting downtown Lisbon with the northern locale. The road is lined with trees and enhanced with wellsprings, statues and a huge landmark devoted to WWI warriors.
After the seismic tremor of 1755, the Marquis of Pombal taught engineer Reinaldo Manuel to lay out another greenery enclosure promenade with verdure, statues and wellsprings. The promenade, now involved by the Restauradores square and the lower piece of the Avenida da Liberdade, was known as the Passeio Público (Public Way). Regardless of its name, the promenade was a long way from open as just nobles were permitted access and an extensive divider kept normal individuals from entering. The divider was torn down in 1821, after the fall of the government.
In 1879 the promenade was renamed Avenida da Liberdade (Liberty Avenue). In the meantime the promenade was overhauled as a prestigious street displayed on the Champs-Elysées in Paris. The ninety meter (295 ft) wide road was finished in 1886.
Today the Avenida da Liberdade is ruled via auto movement yet person on foot zones one either side of the focal street give some break to people on foot. Trees give sufficient shadow and the zones are adorned with mosaic asphalts and little wellsprings. There are a few statues on the street, basically devoted to Portuguese essayists.
About midway towards the Praça Marquês de Pombal, close Rua do Salitre, stands the Monumento aos Mortos da Grande Guerra (Monument to the Fallen of the Great War).
This expansive landmark, introduced in 1931, distinctions the Portuguese officers who battled in the First World War. The landmark was made by the nearby artist Maximiano Alves. It demonstrates a warrior being delegated on top of a platform which is upheld on two sides by strong figures.
Significantly bigger landmarks can be found on either end of the Avenida da Liberdade. A pillar on the Praça dos Restauradores on the south end of the road commends the freedom of the Portuguese from the Spanish in 1640. Towards the north the Avenue closes at the Praça Marquês de Pombal (Praça da Rotonda), where a tall section respects the Marquis of Pombal.
Not long after its creation in the nineteenth century, Avenida da Liberdade turned into a prestigious location, and fantastic structures were raised along the road. In the first a large portion of the twentieth century the road was exuberant on account of a few film theaters that opened here. Today it is much calmer, particularly towards the north, and the road is currently home to substantial lodgings, office structures and upscale style bo