Many visitors look for VAT Refund when traveling to other countries. Honestly, never thought a lot about this, but when thinking further, it can get you recover part of your expenses, which can be extremely convenient.
Often people think it’s required to spend a lot of time at the airport when departing to recover your VAT, and to fill out a lot of stuff. Not necessarily. I will explain in few steps the requirements and procedures for your VAT refund in Lisbon / Portugal. It’s easy, check here.
Imagine you buy a watch costing 5,000EUR, and you are not resident in EU. You are elegible to get a refund of 725EUR. Learn how!
Requirements and procedures:
1) You must have permanent residence outside European Union
2) Minimum purchase amounts: 52,87 EUR (VAT 6%) ; 56,36 EUR (VAT 13%) ; 61.35 EUR (VAT 23%) ; 57.87 EUR (VAT 16%) ; 60.85 EUR (VAT 22%)
3) You must stamp your forms, if you don’t stamp your forms at the airport when departure, you won’t get your refund
4) Before you check in for your flight, go to the Customs desk and present your completed Tax Free Form, passport and purchases to get a stamp on your forms.
5) The goods have to be sealed and unused. Don’t pack them away in your check-in luggage as you will need to show them to the Customs Officer to get your stamp.
6) The Form must be duly stamped by the Portuguese or any other EU country Customs within 90 days following the date when the Form was issued.
After all stemps above completed, you are elegible for a VAT REFUND
For example, Globalblue offers a VAT refund service by postal mail. Just mail them by postal mail your receipts and filled forms stamped, and they will credit your credit card for the correspondent amounts.
1) Look for stores displaying Global Blue Tax Free Shopping sign in the window.
2) When paying for your purchases ask the shop staff for a Tax Free Form.
3) Fill in all the required fields in block letters, using the Latin alphabet.
Tax Free goods: Refunds are paid on all goods that are exported in the traveller’s personal luggage, except: spare parts and vehicles.
- 10 Jewish Historical Places to Discover in Portugal - May 9, 2021
- 5 Best Private Day Tours from Lisbon - May 9, 2021
- Half-Day Tour to Sintra – Recommendations - April 6, 2021